Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Travel Training

I work at a global company so I travel. Not extensively but when I do travel it's usually a week or two at a time. Which always puts me in a dilemma - how do I do triathlon training - specifically biking - when you're traveling to a developing country. There isn't exactly a 24-hour fitness in Burkina Faso. I'm going to South America on Saturday and all I can obsess about is how I'm going to get my training in. Good news though - the hotel I'm staying in is a luxury one and is along the beach so I can run there. Woo Hoo.

Anyway, I had an incredible bike ride this morning. Really pushed my cadence and it showed in my mph - about 18.9 average. I usually average about 14 mph so this was great. I've calculated and I have to average at least 18 mph over the 112 miles for me to finish my bike ride in the Ironman in six hours. That will give me plenty of time to run the marathon.

I know more than 50 weeks out this is all conjecture but I'm obsessing now so that I know what I'll have to work up to to get through and finish this damn thing on time.

1 comment:

Ross said...

I travel on business too. It is a royal pain in the rear to find places that are conducive to good training. Keep at it and you will succeed.