Sunday, July 1, 2007

It's about the bike

Boy I'm truly tired today. Did about 31 miles on the Air Force Academy campus. The Air Force Academy sits on 18,000 acres of some of the most pristine, beautiful and wonderful land in Colorado. And the best thing about it is I get to use it like it's my back yard. I try to ride there at least once a week - by trail or by road. Anyway, the Academy sits basically on a mountain so anywhwere you're riding there you're pretty much climbing. I had a 2.5 hour ride to do so I decided to do it there. I'm still granny-gearing it up the most uphill slopes. I'd like to at least 2nd gear it up those long, winding hills. I just didn't have the stuff today. Me and this chick played leap frog and I had her for a while but then I couldn't sustain it and poof, she was gone. She had a really high cadence. I've often wondered - if high gear high cadance is the ideal is it better to be able to go high gear low cadence or low gear high cadence? I need to speed up my cadence. This will of course help me go faster.
The bike is the portion I worry about most for the IM. I need to get through the bike in about 6 hours so I can walk the run if I have to ... not that I'm planning on it, 26.2 miles is a LONGGGGG way to walk.

So I need my butt in the saddle like white on rice so that I can get better at rotating those legs and hips. Oh well. At least I try!

No comments: